1. Start the day off the right way! And no, coffee shouldn’t be the first thing you have. Give your metabolism an optimal morning boost to burn fat by drinking 12-16 oz of water with fresh lemon! Why this is essential is because everyone wakes up dehydrated whether you drink caffeine or alcohol. If you are dehydrated, you cannot burn fat because your body is too busy preventing the damage and protecting itself from the effects of dehydration. It is also vital to have either a snack or breakfast within 45 minutes of waking up because you don’t want to let your body go into starvation and storing mode because it will burn muscle and store fat instead to protect itself! Whether its having 1-2 Tbsp. of almond butter before your morning workout, or eating a veggie 2/3-egg omelet with 1/3 – ½ avocado + 1 cup of berries afterwards, you will motivate your metabolism to burn fat all day long!
2. Get in a workout! If you want to keep burning, you’ve got to get moving. Whether you’re able to hit the gym first thing in the morning (after your snack from tip #1) or just taking the stairs throughout the day at work and going for a lunch-time walk – the important thing is to get moving. Since your body will need carbs to recover from your workout, save your larger, healthier meal for afterwards.
3. Make sure your breakfast is protein-packed. Always be sure to get enough protein and healthy fats to start your day. Your energy after a breakfast of 2/3 eggs, 1/3 – ½ of an avocado and 1 piece of fruit or Breakfast Tacos will be significantly higher and sustain you longer than a carb-heavy bowl of cereal. Think about it this way – if you want to lessen the “carb-chase-cravings” and energy drops that often hit in the later mid-morning and/or late afternoon, the key is to increase your protein and healthy fats earlier in the day.
4. Get in your vitamin D! Spending your lunch break outside or taking a quick walk during your workday will make a huge difference. Taking 10-20 minutes in the sunshine mostly unprotected (but always protecting your face) will help to naturally boost your body’s vitamin D levels. There are so many benefits of Vitamin D – it will boost your immune system, energy levels and overall mood even!
5. Hydration is for real! This is one of the most important keys to weight loss and fat burning. You’ve heard it so many times before but the reality is – most people still don’t drink as much as the human body craves to function optimally! Drink water throughout the day and make your daily goal 64-80 ounces. The little tip you may not be aware of is that it is ideal to limit water intake while you’re eating meals – drink most of it between! If you drink too much while you’re eating, you’re making it harder for your body to digest and absorb the food which will make you much more hungry later. Your digestion works optimally when you are seated, and most of us tend not to be seated long enough. So do everything you can to help your digestion work optimally so you get the full absorption of what you are eating.
6. Get 7-8 hours of restful sleep each night. Want to burn more fat? Sleep more. The importance of sound sleep is the #1 non-negotiable – it is the time your body requires to heal, rest and power up for the next day. By not getting enough sleep, you are putting stress on your body and increasing the hormones that make you even more tired – which leads your body to STORE fat instead of burn fat! Besides feeling excessively tired, lack of sound sleep also spurs bad carb cravings and caffeine which can become a vicious cycle that millions of people are currently stuck in. Tips: Stop all technology at least 30 minutes before bed, invest in a great bed/pillow, use blackout curtains and try doing something calm and restful before bed like reading. Sip on some sleepy time or chamomile tea 60 minutes before bed for the calming effects of the herbs. If you need additional sleep support, try New Metabolism’s Triple ZZZ’s or DREAM.