Our clients love learning a new healthy recipe for tacos from us. Since tacos are generally easy to make, it is our pleasure to share our favorite recipes with you! Below is our recipe for Tropical Chicken Tacos and Pineapple Salsa. Not only are they tasty, but we promise – they are also very good for you!
Tropical Chicken Tacos
Serves 4-6, Serving size is 2 tacos
- 1 minced jalapeno
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp chopped pineapple chunks
- ¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Lime wedges (on side)
- 4- 4oz free-range boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 12- 6inch corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 jalapeno minced
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 cup cilantro (loosely packed)
- 3 cups pineapple cubes
- ¼ cup toasted unsweetened coconut
- ½ tsp Celtic sea salt
- For the tacos, combine jalapeno, coconut milk, onion, pineapple, chili powder, ¼ tsp salt and pepper in large bowl. Add chicken and marinate overnight in refrigerator.
- Prepare salsa: combine salsa ingredients, cover and refrigerate.
- Brush grill-pan with oil and heat to medium-high heat. Place chicken on pan, discard marinade. Cook, turning once until cooked through (about 12 minutes). Remove from pan, let rest for 5 minutes, then slice into thin strips.
- Assemble tacos in tortillas and top with salsa.
Nutrition Facts (2 tacos w/salsa):
305 calories, 6.5g total fat, 64.3gmg cholesterol, 271.7mg sodium, 36g carbs, 27.1g protein
Derek Johnson, BCIH, is the founder and primary holistic nutritionist at New Metabolism, his private nutrition practice, and also serves as the executive nutrition director of The Biggest Loser Resorts. He is board certified in integrative health, holds a bachelor’s degree in dietetics, completes continual CE courses and is a member of numerous nutrition associations. Follow him on twitter @DerekJohnsonNM and become a fan on Facebook!